Kids in Focus
Kids in Focus is a service funded by the Australian Government’s Department of Social Services. It is a specialist child, parenting and family support service for highly vulnerable families where a parent has an alcohol and/or other drug problem. We provides this service free of charge. Odyssey House Victoria is committed to child safety and is a child safe organisation.
On this page
About the program
From 2002 to 2009 Odyssey House Victoria undertook two projects to develop models of care for families where parents had a substance use problem. The resulting model is a family centred approach that emphasises the safety and wellbeing of children in addition to parenting and family support. The success of the two projects led to Odyssey House Victoria being awarded the contract to provide the Kids in Focus (KIF) services.
- Parents who have current or past substance dependence problems
- Parents with children in their care or working towards reunification
- Parents with one or more children between the ages of 0-12
- Information and support
- Home based parenting education and support
- Counselling and case management
- Recreational and therapeutic groups for children and their families
- Child and family activities to enhance social connections
- Facilitated access to rehabilitation
- Post natal follow up and support
- Ante natal care through our partnership with the Royal Women’s Hospital WADS program
Capacity building and services for professionals
The KIF program can offer secondary consultation though telephone advice and support, providing assistance with information, skills development and problem solving. Opportunities also exist for professional development and training
To complete a referral, please fill out the online form below. Or you can download a PDF form and fill it out digitally or physically and either email KIFReferrals@odyssey.org.au or fax to 9425 9537.