The Zone is a joint youth AOD program developed and delivered by Youth Support & Advocacy Services (YSAS), Odyssey House Victoria and Drummond Street Services.
The program prioritises marginalised young people and their families from LGBTIQ+, African and Pasifika communities who are less likely to seek treatment and support from mainstream AOD services. The Zone offers inclusive, culturally safe specialist AOD youth services that embrace and respond to diversity.
Project partners recognise that for most clients seeking AOD treatment, substance use is just one of multiple and complex issues young people are experiencing, including mental health, homelessness and legal issues, all of which need to be addressed as part of AOD treatment.
With its integrated service approach, The Zone offers a range of specialist support that includes:
- Care planning and co-ordination
- Case management
- Family support
- Links to other services
- Support with Centrelink, legal services, cultural and community connection.
Young people aged 12-25 years of age who work, live or have connections in the North-west Melbourne region are eligible. This includes:
- Inner: Melbourne and Yarra Local Government Areas
- North: Darebin, Moonee Valley and Moreland Local Government Areas
- West: Brimbank, Hobsons Bay and Maribyrnong Local Government Areas
- Outer North: Hume and Macedon Ranges
- Outer West: Melton, Moorabool and Wyndham Local Government Areas.