It can be very hard to admit that your alcohol or other drug use has got out of control. If you’re reading this, chances are that you have already decided to take the first step and get some help.

On this page

Where to start

Whether you have been to a treatment service in the past or not, you may be feeling overwhelmed about where to start. This may be the case if you also need some help with other problems like health, mental health, housing, legal issues, or your relationships.

It can be helpful to start by talking to someone about what you want and need. We call this an Assessment.

During an assessment, a trained clinician will ask more about what you are experiencing and give you some ideas about the type of services that are available, including detox, counselling or residential rehabilitation. They will usually ask whether other services are currently helping you, and whether you wish to have a family member or significant other person involved in any support you choose.

Speaking to someone over the phone and organising an assessment is best done during office hours through your local Intake Service. Use the table or map below to determine the best contact number for you to call.

More help

If you need to speak to someone after hours, you can call DirectLine on 1800 888 236. DirectLine provides a central 24-hour telephone counselling, information and referral service for anyone in Victoria wishing to discuss an alcohol or drug-related issue. It complements the network of treatment and support services in the Victorian community and provides:

  • information, counselling and referral around alcohol and drug issues
  • an immediate and highly accessible alcohol and drug response service
  • access 24 hours a day seven days a week brief interventions within a harm minimisation framework to prevent or reduce problems associated with drug use
  • an anonymous and confidential service.

Online counselling is also available at

Intake Services can also organise support for your partner, friend or a family member. Alternatively, Family Drug Help also provides telephone information and support on 1300 660 068.

Contact numbers by area

CatchmentService providerIntake and assessment no.
BarwonBarwon AOD Consortium1300 094 187 or
1300 763 254 (Colac area)
BaysideInner Sth Community Health Service1800 229 263
Eastern MelbourneSURE consortium1300 007 873
Inner North
North Melbourne
North West Melbourne
South West Melbourne
Odyssey / Uniting Vic.Tas1800 700 514
Frankston-Mornington PeninsulaFaMDAS1300 665 781
Goulburn Valley
Loddon Mallee
Great South Coast
1300 022 760
Inner EastTurning Point1800 778 278
South East MelbourneSECADA1800 142 536